Concept 2 Skierg Ski Machine Review
Exercising can be a fun activity if you know how to do it properly and use equipment that helps you perform routines better.
Today, there are a lot of exercise machines available on the market. The big question now is, how do you choose the right one?
In this article, you’ll get to know Concept 2 and their world-famous line of exercise equipment. One of the most notable among all of them is the SkiErg machine.
What is Concept 2?
It all began in 1976.
Brothers Dick and Pete Dreissigacker, who were then training for the Olympics, saw a vast need for a lighter, faster and more solid oar. After numerous runs of experiments with carbon fiber and fiberglass, the brothers finally developed the first workable composite racing oar.
Concept 2 oars have since become the best choice among the world’s rowers.
In 1981, Dick and Pete created the Concept 2 Indoor Rower. Quickly, it became the best-selling rowing machine in the world. Several years and models later, this piece of equipment is now being used daily by many individuals, such as cardiac rehab patients and athletes.
Fast forward to today, the Concept 2 has grown not only in their number of employees, but in their range of product offerings as well. These includes oars, indoor rower, the BikeErg and the SkiErg. Concept 2 remains dedicated to their philosophy of providing great fitness opportunities to customers by offering innovative products.
Their manufacturing facility is situated in Morrisville, Vermont.
The SkiErg is an accurately-engineered skiing machine made in the US. If you’re looking for a tough workout, this is the perfect piece of equipment for you. Skiing does not only improve endurance and strength in your whole body -- it also exercises your arms, core and legs.
The SkiErg ski machine has its own set of features that puts it on top and sets it apart from competitors. Learn more about its 5 key features below:
1. PM5 Performance Monitor
The performance monitor of Concept 2’s SkiErg is what makes them the undisputed leader among all other outdoor training devices. It’s a piece of equipment that’s highly sophisticated but still remains user-friendly.
The PM5 can help you reach your goal by providing you with the following:
- It helps you monitor your turns and track distance. It also notifies you of how many calories you’ve burned, as well as what your speed, pace and watts are.
- Performance tracking. It has the ability to store your performance data and lets you transfer it to your devices via a flash drive.
- This device can also manage a wide range of different feature such as games, multiple languages and your present trainings.
- The PM5 also allows you to use ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart with well-matched heart rate monitors.
- The PM5 allows you to see data such as force curve, bar chart or all data.
2. The Flywheel
This second feature is all about you being in full control of your force and resistance all the time.
The SkiErg utilizes air resistance generated by the fanned flywheel. The spiral damper lets you quickly adjust the airflow to the flywheel. You can also simulate different situations to tweak your workout, such as a flat terrain, a steep uphill climb or anything else that suits your preference.
This makes the equipment fully-customizable depending on the skill set and preferences of skiers or any athlete whatever their build, size or experience may be. The SkiErg responds to your needs depending on what kind of workout you want to do at any given moment.
3. Durable, Ergonomic Construction
The SkiErg’s ergonomic, strap-free handles provide a more secure and comfortable grip because they do not absorb sweat. It stays dry even with frequent use. There’s no need to adjust it every time a different user comes in because it fits all sizes.
One reason why Concept 2 is one of the top equipment manufacturers in the world is because their products come with a guarantee of accurate engineering and trustworthy stability. That is very applicable to this piece of equipment. The grips and cords may be used for the double-pole and alternating arm techniques.
Also, the SkiErg has high-strength and lightweight drive cords for a smooth response.
4. Easy Assembly (Wall-Mount or Freestanding)
The SkiErg can either be mounted on a wall or easily left to stand alone.
If wall-mounted, the SkiErg provides sturdiness. On the other hand, leaving it freestanding makes you more mobile. The floor stand has an anti-skid deck and caster wheels for easy movement.
However you decide to position it, this equipment is still very easy to assemble either way.
5. Great for Adaptive/Rehab Training
The SkiErg is used by many professional skiers and diverse athletes preparing for tough competitions, but its versatility and adaptability is also the main reason why it’s also a hit among athletes who are still rehabilitating from injuries. It can also be used as part of an adaptive strength training program.
This piece of equipment can still be utilized even when you’re sitting down. This is why many disabled or rehabbing athletes still get maximum benefits while using it.
Specifications and Dimension
- Color: Black
- Material type: Powder coat finish
- Space requirements:
- Wall-mounted: 7’ tall X 21” wide X 16” deep
- Freestanding: 7’2” tall X 24” wide X 52” deep
- Frame: Bent aluminum box frame with steel top bracket. The optional floor stand is made up of steel frame pieces. It also has Polyurea-coated wooden deck.
- Flywheel: Enclosure is made of high-impact ABS thermo-plastic.
- PM5 Monitor: Backlit liquid crystal display (LCD) monitor.
- Warranty: The copy of your warranty is available upon request. This warranty covers defective parts for a 2 to 5 year period starting from the shipment date.
Why Should I Use the SkiErg?
If the above-mentioned features and specifications are still not enough to convince you to buy this piece of equipment, let this part persuade you to do so.
Concept 2’s SkiErg helps you build your whole body’s durability, endurance and strength. It does so in an efficient and effective rhythmic poling motion that is essential to all the different Nordic skiing approaches.
Skiing is a low-impact exercise that is great in burning large amounts of calories. People of all ages and capabilities can use this. You, as the user, have the full control over its resistance. The harder you pull, the faster the flywheel goes.
One of the biggest benefits that the SkiErg also offers is a strong yet low-impact cardio training.
The dedicated customer support is a huge bonus, also. Concept 2 doesn’t only care for their equipment, but for their customers as well. Just create an online profile on their website so that you can track your workouts, answer their online tests, and of course, ask them any questions you might have. They definitely take pride in giving a great after sales experience.
Working out With the SkiErg Machine
To be able to maximize the benefits of this exercise machine, here is the proper step-by-step guide in using the equipment.
- Extend your arms. Reach up as high as you can and then and take a good hold of the handles.
- Slightly bend your knees. Push your hips backward then put your weight to your heels.
- Keep your chest up as you pull down the cables.
- Your torso leads your arms downward. Make sure your abs remain tight and constricted.
- Remember to keep your arms straight as you pull.
- Punch your elbows backward as your hands pass your knees. Have your arms straighten downward. Repeat from the top.
The butterfly is another pulling movement. To do this, you circle your arms in an outward direction. Then, start pulling the handles back in again at the topmost part instead of the other way around. For variation, try keeping your legs straight all the way through and demand more from your upper body parts such as your arms and your shoulders.
You can also try bending one leg. This move entails additional work from your core stabilizers.
The Pros and Cons
Concept 2 is a company that is backed up by many years of experience. Given this fact, their name can be synonymous to the words reliable and trustworthy. Listed below are the advantages and disadvantages you may encounter as you use their product.
Exercise is important because it keeps you healthy not only physically, but mentally as well. It gives you balance and confidence, and improves your concentration.
At times, pushing yourself to stand up, move and exercise may seem hard or tiresome. But with the use of the SkiErg, you’ll definitely look forward to working out even more.